Summer School on Science in Society related issues in Pandemics – Third edition
National Centre for Diseases Prevention and Health Promotion (CNaPPS)
The third edition of the ASSET Summer School will be held at the National Centre for Diseases Prevention and Health Promotion (CNaPPS) of the Istituto Superiore di Sanità (ISS) in Rome from May 30 to June 1, 2017. Pandemics (or more in general public health emergencies of international concern, PHEIC) as well as other major infectious disease outbreaks management do necessarily require a multidisciplinary approach. The ASSET Summer School focuses on
- Governance of pandemics;
- Unsolved scientific questions about epidemics and pandemics;
- Crisis participatory governance;
- Ethical, legal and societal implications of pandemics;
- Gender pattern – vulnerability;
- (Issues related to) intentionally caused outbreaks.
SUCCESSFUL ITEM IN THE LAST YEAR EDITION
- As done in the 2016 Summer School edition, also at the 2017 course attendants are given again the opportunity to present and share a their own project, research, activity, experience developed in the field of interest!
WHAT DOES IT AIM TO?
- establishing an interactive learning space for researchers and practitioners in the field of Science in Society (SiS) related issues in Pandemics;
- sharing and exchanging issues related to conducting and communicating research in SiS according to a transdisciplinary perspective, ranging from public health to social science and communication;
- addressing and critically discussing current discourses on research methodologies and findings as well as on practice-based cases.
HOW IS THE COURSE DEVELOPED?
- The learning approach used in the ASSET Summer School is typically interactive and participatory by lessons given by top experts or witnesses in the field; exchange of study- or practice-based experience; mainly case studies are used.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Professionals with a background education and a working experience in several fields: medicine, public health, philosophy, social science, communication, health care, health economics, administration (max 20). Fields of education and working experience can be different.
- Additionally, PhD students undertaking courses of study in these areas are allowed to apply, too.
- No registration fee is required
- Attendees will receive: learning materials, lunches and refreshments during the schooldays
- Some travel and accommodation grants are available for best students, to be selected per CV and motivation letter filled in the registration form.
HOW TO APPLY
- Application deadline is 31 March 2017. The application form is now available.
- Ph.d. students who wish to participate should also use the above mentioned application form.
- Applicants will be informed about the result of their application within 2-3 weeks of submission of the on-line form.
- IMPORTANT NOTICE: please, do not make any travel arrangements before attendance is confirmed
For further information on application and registration procedures you can contact:
- ISTITUTO SUPERIORE DI SANITA - ISS (ITALY);
- ZADIG SRL ZADIG (ITALY);
- INSTITUTE OF PREVENTIVE MEDICINE ENVIRONMENTAL AND OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH - PROLEPSIS (GREECE);
- ASSOCIATION LYON BIOPOLE LYONBIOPOLE (FRANCE);
- EUROPEAN INSTITUTE OF WOMEN'S HEALTH LIMITED - EIWH (IRELAND);
- UNIVERSITY OF HAIFA - HU (ISRAEL);
- DATA MINING INTERNATIONAL SA - DMI (SWITZERLAND);
- FONDEN TEKNOLOGIRÅDET - DBT (DENMARK);
- NATIONAL CENTER OF INFECTIOUS AND PARASITIC DISEASES - NCIPD (BULGARIA);
- UNIVERSITATEA DE MEDICINA SI FARMACIE'CAROL DAVILA' DIN BUCURESTI - UMFCD (ROMANIA)
- INTERNATIONAL PREVENTION RESEARCH INSTITUT - IPRI (FRANCE);
- FORSVARETS FORSKNINGINSTITUTT - FFI (NORWAY);
- THE INTERNATIONAL EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT SOCIETY AISBL - TIEMS (BELGIUM).
GUEST LECTURERS Invited prominent international experts (to be announced)
AWARDS Participants will receive a certificate for attendance
- National Centre for Diseases Prevention and Health Promotion (CNaPPS) of the Istituto Superiore di Sanità (ISS) Rome, Italy